MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. The following is a comprehensive overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the three components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers to the components of C and/or N. The MXene material is actually a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX Phases and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have an array of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually are the etching management of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the activity and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the main objective of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and methods can be further explored to understand a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, however, there is still room for more optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other facets of the fabric can be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be commonly used in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to get explored. Later on, they can be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in lots of fields. With all the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.